Pre-Nanowrimo Pep Talk To Myself

Sabrina Lowney

Well, tomorrow is the first day of Nanowrimo. My fear is that I'll fail to make 50k by the end of the month and then feel worse about failing than I would have if I hadn't written anything. But thinking about it logically for a second, no matter how much I write, or what I write, or how good (or not) it is, if I try, then I'll have more writing done on December 1st than I would have otherwise. And that would be a success. Not one I'd be happy with, perhaps, but not an abject humiliation, either.

My game plan: pretend like I'm not writing My Novel, which will of course be an amazing work of fiction, but rather just some crappy fanfiction of of it that will never leave the depths of my computer, so I can include all the lame conversations, confusing plot turns, and rambling interior monologue I want. It's fine. I'll edit it in December or something and maybe it it'll turn out not to be so horrendously terrible after all.

And you know what? If it is terrible, I'll be in good company: du Maurier's Rebecca was pretty darn terrible and I had to read that for school. Kwon's Incendiaries was awful, and even it has more than three stars on Goodreads. So I'll just keep in mind all the horrible things I've read through them fortify my soul against the insidious fear of failure. 

Best of luck! Sometimes I browse parts of the bookstore and read the back covers and jackets of books and think, if /this/ can get published, maybe I'm gonna be okay after all. Any writing is more writing and more writing is always good. 

I am in denial that Nano begins in less than an hour. I said I would do it. I will do it as a Nano Rebel and try to get as much word count as possible on my current WIP, including all the story journaling I want. Maybe we can do some write-ins together. 

8 minutes ago, Kyra said:

Super excited for Nano! Personal pep talk: i can do this, i can do this, i can--yes i can do, stop telling me something might go wrong again. Nope! Inner Editor, you get to shut up and go away for a whole month! ? <insert creativity here!>

...I spent how many hours and filled over 10 pages of plot stuff....and i'm still wondering: where do i start? Lol

Archived