9 will always be my Doctor, though that isn't to say I don't adore 10. I love all three of Rose, Martha, and Donna, but Donna eeks out on the top of my favs list. 

Doctor Who has a very peculiar place in my heart. I got into it it the spring of my senior year of high school (2011), binged the first two series in two days, watched three and four over the next few weeks, and the Specials spaced out a bit after that. I had just watched The End of Time when I got to my freshman orientation camping trip and was in pain the whole time cause no one else there had seen it. But once I got back and started college proper, I found a bunch of people who loved DW (including my partner, who we met because she was wearing a Doctor Who shirt and then took us upstairs to show off her homemade Tardis pillow and her homemade Ten doll.) At that time series six was just coming back from the midseason hiatus and I ran off to try and catch up so I could watch with Helen and my other new friends. 

But like many other stories (lookin at you Harry Potter), my relationship with DW has grown...complicated over time. I still really liked series 5, and would probably still like many of the episodes if I rewatched them, but I remember sitting in a dark basement after finally getting to see the series six finale and just thinking, "what was the point of any of that?" It was a feeling carried on into series 7 and culminated in the 50th anniversary episode, which I watched with the best friend I'd just made in Scotland (who I'd found because he mentioned DW around me). After that most people I knew just kinda gave up on the show and moved onto other things. Davies' run of New Who will always be one of the most meaningful and formative bits of media in my life and I still love so much of it, but part of it feels cheapened. Certain episodes that I loved, hell still love, leave a slight sour taste in my mouth. 

I don't mean to be a downer, just express my complicated feelings. To end on a lighter note, my very favorite episode(s) are The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit from series 2. Everything about it from the setting to the score to the emotional beats and side characters are just so beautifully done. It as a slow, thoughtful pace that takes time for not just conversation and character moments, but to just appreciate the atmosphere and events happening around them. The image of the Doctor in his orange exosuit hanging alone in the pitch black is one of the most striking and beautiful in the series. And the viola. That damn viola. I should go plop that track into my inspiration thread. 

• Like 2

Impossible Planet/Satan Pit also one of my alltime fave episodes. So much thinking about what-it-all-means, and then that exasperating, "Tell Rose..oh, she knows!" 
Ten will always be my Doctor, though I did start the series with Eccleston. I've loved all the Ten companions. Never got over Donna's memory wipe. One of the saddest episodes ever. Eleven is my next favorite, with Amy and Rory the fave companions. I've loved the subsequent doctors and companions, too, but not with a much of a burning passion as those ones. I do find 13 very appealing, though. 

• 3 weeks later...

We watched the first episode of the new Doctor last night and it was... good. Like. Real good. 13 is energetic and compassionate and while she's the main character, the episode was not about her. She didn't win because she said, "I am the Doctor" and the bad guy ran away, she won because she was clever and brave and the baddie underestimated her. It felt like Doctor Who and there were no moments that left me feeling uncomfortable or like any part of my identity was the butt of a joke. I'm cautiously optimistic the new showrunner will be a lot better with queer characters since he did Torchwood, and despite its many flaws, Torchwood took its queer relationships and queer identities seriously.

I don't know the new guy's opinions on Moffat's run, but there was a line that stuck out to me, where 13 says something like, "something's pulling me from what I have been to what I should be, and I'm trying to become that," that felt like it might be a meta comment on the direction of the show from here.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I like her, too. We've only watched through the Pakistan episode--which I really liked, and which followed the spaceship-eating-critter episode, which I really didn't. (Felt like Chibnall was on a deadline and just crammed everything in with no real focus.) 

@RosieDid you feel that Bill was badly handled by Moffatt? 

8 hours ago, Katherine said:

Did you feel that Bill was badly handled by Moffatt? 

tbh I had quit watching loooooong before she showed up. Aside from thinking his showrunning is utter crap, the way Moffatt had been writing women (particularly queer women *stares resentfully at Vastra and Jenny*) was so unwelcoming that I bailed. Queen Elizabeth I was my breaking point (and @Kasper's. We watched the 50th anniversary special together.) I don't personally know any lgbt people who stuck around long enough to see Bill, so that makes me think it was too little, far too late.

Rosie, you aren't allowed to mention that stuff with Queen Elizabeth near me. I have an exam to study for, I don't have time to write an essay complaining about it. The short version is as a historian and a feminist I'm furious and I'm one day I'm gonna fist fight Moffat over it.

I know my little sister watched some stuff with Bill and said I wouldn't be impressed and as Moffat as long run out of chances with me (having your lead man non-consensually kiss a lesbian, or anyone for that matter, is a deal breaker for me) I'm gonna have to take her at her word for it. 

@Rosie it's okay though, we'll always have the Five-ish Doctors.

Also, Eccleston forever and a shout out to my man Davidson for any Classic Who fans.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

having your lead man non-consensually kiss a lesbian, or anyone for that matter, is a deal breaker for me

Wait, which one was this? Ten did non-consensually kiss Martha. For that matter, Eleven kissed Clara. Did Twelve kiss Bill? What am I missing? 

On 3/7/2019 at 11:17 PM, Katherine said:

Wait, which one was this? Ten did non-consensually kiss Martha. For that matter, Eleven kissed Clara. Did Twelve kiss Bill? What am I missing? 

11 kissed Jenny. And used the screwdriver to make an erection joke when she went into her leather spy gear. it was super uncomfortable. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.