The Philosophy of The Rubber Duck

Rosie

You might be asking, what on earth does a rubber duck have to do with writing or the story process? Well there's a reason I chose it, and it's not that ducks are funny and my sense of humor likes surreal non-sequiturs. In coding and programming, there's a method of debugging called the rubber duck method. If your code isn't working right, you explain it to a rubber duck, and then you usually figure the blindingly obvious thing you missed and throw the rubber duck across the room because how the hell did you miss that??

This forum is the metaphorical duck. If something in your story or writing process isn't working, talk it out here. People can jump in to help if that's something you want, or you can tag the thread as "no replies please" and it can just be your little shouting chamber. 

It's recommended to find something else to throw when you come to your realizations. I don't even know how you'd throw an online forum...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm still not used to posting here so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right? But in any case, [VOID SCREAMS AT GREAT LENGTH]. I've completely forgotten how to write and wordcount minimums aren't motivating me. 😭 Any other habit-building exercises that work for people?

13 hours ago, Kyrie said:

I'm still not used to posting here so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right? But in any case, [VOID SCREAMS AT GREAT LENGTH]. I've completely forgotten how to write and wordcount minimums aren't motivating me. 😭 Any other habit-building exercises that work for people?

NSFW under the Spoiler

Writing self indulgent smut. I'd dead serious. Maybe it's the fact that I know that there's no way in hell I'm sharing it with anyone, so any pressure to make it good completely vanishes. Maybe it's the fact that you can write smut for any mood and it'll work, so you're not trying to force something you're not in the mood for. It's also great for character building cause sex is inherently intimate and whether that manifests as characters having intense, vulnerable emotional experiences with each other or just having a romp with an emphasis on how weird and awkward and goofy sex can be, it's still a very 'real' place for the characters to be. idk if that made any sense 😛

other than the above, accountability buddies to bully you into writing work great, and working on shorter projects you can finish can really help. Also read or experience stories you love and consume and experience good creative energy (doesn't have to be books, I usually play narrative video games for my media fix). Maybe write some fan fic for fandoms you're in. 

But above all else, you have to be kind to yourself, sometimes your head space just isn't one you can write in and accepting and being okay with it is the first step in processing and moving through that headspace. Trying to write in a way that causes guilt when you don't meet a goal is, in my experience in writing w/depression, the best way to kill any inclination to write stone dead. You can do this, Kyrie!

• 1 month later...

But above all else, you have to be kind to yourself, sometimes your head space just isn't one you can write in and accepting and being okay with it is the first step in processing and moving through that headspace. 

I am so in agreement with this! There's a certain amount of self-nurturing we need to do around writing, 'cuz in many ways our creative self is also our vulnerable little kid self. We need to invite her out and let her know it's safe to be there. I second the idea in the spoiler, too, because if you are already pretty sure you're not going to share it, you may feel more uninhibited. (Also, those are fun to write!)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.