Introducing Me

Athena

• Members

Hello to anyone reading this! 

I’m Hannah, your everyday amateur writer. I mainly write fantasy with a sprinkling of realistic fiction here and there. My hopefully one-day-published novel “The Janus Project” has been my main literary focus for a few years. 

Within the vast fantasy genre, I’ve recently been really interested in magic systems and how to make them tick. They’re a joy except when they’re an absolute pain. 

Anyways, I’m looking forward to talking with you guys sometime!

I do hope one of you will begin a thread on Magic Systems. I wasn't sure where it should go when I talked to Ozzalus, but now that there is a thread on pidgins and creoles over in The Workshop, that looks like a good place for this one, too. 

• Members
Wow. That was honestly one of the most complex systems I have ever seen (this is coming from a person who has read a fair bit of the fantas section at the library) and it’s amazing! 

Though the concept of Aether is what’s the most amazing to me. You mentioned wizards can an ability with Aether, but do normal people respond with Aether in another way? Are other races (if there are any) able to use Aether? How about animals-I’m guessing I could transmute a rabbit into something so, by the laws of Aetherialism, it doesn’t have have the inborn ability with Aether? Can animals have magical abilities? Did the Aether not affect animals or plants or other organisms like it did with humans? Is it possible for me to give Aether to another person but when they weren’t dispelling the magical energy? So, what would happen to a person who recieved Aether but wasn’t casting something? Would it make them stronger? Also, is Aether needed to live for wizards? Hypothetically-seeing as you can’t directly interact with Aether-would it be possible for a person to leech off another’s Aether to use as your own? Is Aether the same energy throughout all spells or is it different? If it is different, how does different Aether affect a spell?

Sorry about this mess (I just stopped to think a bit more and looked at my agglomeration of questions above)! Feel free to ignore the questions if they’re annoying. But it’s really cool! 

1. Most people are not aware that aether exists. It is not visible and it passes through most matter with little resistance unless its concentration is very high. Its effects are subtle; it tends to encourage stability and slows natural processes of decay, so people in aether-rich environments tend to live longer and be less prone to conflict, but its distribution is fairly even across the civilized world so most people don't notice its influence. Non-wizards have some level of latent ability to influence aether, and some genius martial artists/artisans/artists et cetera even use it subconsciously, but only wizards have trained their awareness and control over it enough to be able to use magic and resist spells.

2. There are no fantastical races so far in my world. 

3. Animals don't have any particular talent for using aether, and are about as vulnerable to magic as non-wizards.

4. In a few areas of the world, animals saturated with aether have become spectral beasts, which have magical abilities. A couple examples include copperhawks, which are metallic birds that seek out and eat coins, and dividing spiders, which multiply exponentially in response to fear. Little is understood about how these beasts do what they do.

5. Yes, as I explained a little earlier.

6. Spells can be cast on willing wizards, if that is what you were asking. Aetherialists can also support the spellcasting of other wizards by directing aether to them which they can use.

7. It may make the person's body more "orderly," setting broken bones and eliminating mutations and slowing aging and many other things, but the concentration of aether required for it to have a noticeable effect in its pure, unstructured form is impractically high.

8. It would make them more durable, since durability is one form of resistance to change, but they would not be able to lift or push more strongly, no.

9. No, although they don't like being in areas with low concentrations of aether, as it is the source of their power.

10. An aetherialist could direct aether away from one person and towards themselves, yes, but aether doesn't really belong to anyone or anything. Think of aether like air, except that it passes through things.

11. Aether is the same regardless of what spell it is used to cast, similar to how electricity is the same regardless of what it powers (disregarding distinctions like alternating vs. direct current.)

• Members

It’s a lot less detailed than yours and I’m still working out the bugs but here we go:

So, magic is based of existence of things of ideas and the history of the thing or person or rock or chair or anything-the magic is basically your story, down to every last nanosecond of it’s existence. This is known as someone’s Essence, basically like the energy of everything they’ve ever thought, done or said or anything.

Standard Essence is all Essence of things or organisms that can’t channel their Essence (more on that later) consciously. This includes non living material, animals, plants, etc. Standard Essence is, for the most part, a lot less complicated if you were to look at it.

Signature Essence is Essence of a being who can channel Essence and are paired with another Standard Essence. This link or combination of two Essence is called a Lagist. You’re born with the Standard Essence your Essence is linked to and performing magic isn’t something you can learn from someone or something.

It’s a lot easier to explain with a character and might be easier to understand. So I have a character named Collen, who has her Essence linked to metal so she can manipulate metallic Standard Essence. Or Grey, who manipulates the Essence of speed and uses it to speed up their mental abilities.

There’s a lot of different types of Lagist which are all based on how you control you Essence (it’s basically the difference between being able to move metal with your mind versus create metal or turn the metal different shades of neon green and such). 

A similarity between our two magic systems is that like with Aether, Signature Essence can’t interact with other Signature Essence. This is known as Flamel’s Law (as in Nichlas Flamel, if you were wondering. His family’s kinda important in my story). So though you would not be able to mind-control someone (Signature Essence), you could mind-control an army of rabbits who don’t have a Lagist (so Standard Essence).

Feel free to ask questions if some of it was confusing!

• Members

Made it up. If there was a meaning, I forgot it-I’ve been working on this for years. 

And as for my terminology, it’s shaky. There’s Production Lagists (creation of matter), Transmitter Lagists (pushing your Essence into Standard Essence), Manipulation (it’s basically altering characteristics) and  Regulation Lagists (affecting your person). 

Fairies and Merpeople have Inborn Lagists, which mean that their Lagist is determined by race. Fairies and Merpeople  (as you could guess) are paired with water and air respectively.

Then there’s the Deitic (this one actually has meaning-it comes from the term, Deitic Gaze) who have Deitic Lagist. Their Lagists are determined by eye color, which for the most part is hereditary.

• Members

Whoops. I’m going to act like that was on purpose (thank you so much for catching that). 

I’m think it’ll be personality based (Collen is a very cold, stiff and stubborn character and wields metal) for a little over half the people. For some (like the Deitic or Flamel bloodline), it is hereditary. But also, character development-wise. For example, I have a character who is very precise about how she does things (she would probably know how to spell “Deictic” right) and is extremely orderly but is hesitant and overthinks things. Also, she’s a plant lover and gardener. I gave her control over fire because she would eventually learn to get flung out of her comfort zone and improvise. 

Another factor is curses. Another character is a werewolf (he got imbued with the Essence of a wolf along with a lot of other things) and it negated his previous Lagist.

• Members

Wish I could be this productive during Chinese class. 它是给力!(Suppose to say “It’s cool!” but I suck at Chinese so whoops). How do magic circles work on your story? Is each one unique or are they all the same or in between?

Archived