Original Character Jamboree

Rosie

A thread to share and comment on the characters people are writing and are excited about. Basically, get each other excited because characters are usually the heart and soul of a story. Including art or face claims (people, usually actors who capture The Look you're going for) are absolutely encouraged!

My protagonist is Huw Wyn, a 21 y.o. journeyman blacksmith. Rumour has it that he will walk the boards and become a master smith the month after the novel ends. His world is shaken when a stranger walks into town, and he must choose between the stranger's tempting tale of adventure or stay in his mining community with his family and his best friend, Carys Davies, who has suddenly started flirting with him.

Blacksmith_01a.jpg

Here's the protagonist of all my current projects, Sofia Darling. 

Darling watermark.jpg

(Yes, this is actually her! I commissioned an artist I like to draw her a while ago. You should check him out if you have the time!)

Lady Sofia Eloise Darling, mostly called just "Darling" by her companions, except for Jan, who calls her "Sunshine;" Hal, who has many names for her (highlights include "Lady Catastrophe," "Insufferable busy-body," and "an emotionally stunted porcupine"); and the many who just call her "That Bitch." 

I've been playing with her for a few years, the last year she's been the center of what I'm writing (and my obsession in general). She started as the character I made for the game Fallout 4, and after spending some time writing her in fanfiction, I rolled her character sheet to play in our tabletop campaign and gave her her own universe to star in. 

There are two things that are important to know about Darling. One, she is Too Cool for Feelings, which are for Losers. Two, she lies (See item one for an example). 

Since arriving in the mountain city of Vigil, Darling's taken up as a something between a private detective and mercenary. Despite being a noblewoman, she has made no effort to integrate or even make contact with the nobles of Vigil, which she would be able to do without much trouble even though she's a foreigner. Rather, she's set up a modest life for herself down in the lower parts of the city where few people interrupt her engineering projects. Most people find her investigative work is worth both the price in gold and the headache of dealing with her glibness. 

Her story really begins when she takes a job that's suspiciously well-paying and gets pulled into a search for a little girl that hits a little too close to home. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have another character. This is Kestrel [Lavellan] (surename to be determined, Lavellan is a placeholder):

I don't have a picture of her specifically yet, but her design is hugely inspired by Cupcakelogic's Peanut Adaar, so this will give you a good idea of both her appearance and general attitude: 

image.png

image.png

image.png

Kes is a tiefling woman a few years younger than Darling and Jan (so about 25-26 where we begin). For those new to my world, tieflings are people who's bloodlines are cursed as a result of an ancestor making a deal with a demon. For a variety of political, religious, and superstitious reasons, tieflings are societal pariahs, and carve out their existence almost exclusively in Vigil's criminal underbelly, where they are valued for their natural aptitude for magic. Kes is no different, and works for the Thieves' Guild as a scout and is one of Jan's trusted "birdies." Note: Kestrel is under the impression that Jan just calls her a birdy because she's named after one and he can't remember her actual name. 

Kes is a little...odd. Like she's not quite interacting with the same reality as everyone else. She's friendly, and usually in pretty good cheer, and that combined with the fact that she can't catch subtext to save her life and both speaks and interprets things literally give her a sort of childish affect. She's starting to get real tired of people her treating her like a child. It doesn't help that she keeps basically a whole bakery in the multitude of deep pockets in the many folds of her dresses, and will often pull out a cookie or even full loaf of bread in the middle of a conversation and start munching. She usually remembers to offer some to her friends too. 

As stated above, all tieflings have an innate gift with magic, but Kes' talent and abilities are far and away above what any of her peers are capable off. Because of the unusual way her brain processes information and relentless study and experimentation, her magic sight, something other sorcerers have to meditate or focus or pray to activate is always on. With the exception of the gods, no one knows the nature of magic and how to use it like she does. Though explaining it is difficult, because she's using a sense most people completely lack. She also is constantly overstimulated from the constant sensory bombardment, which makes her often come across as flighty or distractible or unable to focus and her mannerisms tend to unnerve people. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really have a protagonist right now, because all my long projects are on hold until I finish grad school, but I have a few that I boop around with pretty regularly.

On that note, this is Gregor Rook.

5h9ZFLe.jpg

(Art by Rayeliann who is amazing and has now drawn almost half a dozen of my characters for me)

He has more dogs than he has friends and spends most of his time trying to avoid people in general. He’s still trying to figure out a way to help people that doesn’t involve interacting with them. Like, yes, he just saved your children from a burning building, please don’t thank him for it, ma’am if you hug him, he might not do it next time.

Fortunately, he has a built in superpower for getting people to stop talking to him: he’s super awkward, and that tends to present itself as being kind of a blunt asshole.

He is a man of strong moral convictions and a genuine desire to help. Unfortunately for him, his arc is about him being pushed to extremism due to a complex and toxic relationship with an extremist on the other side of the central conflict. Rook and Andrew’s on-going interactions twist each of them into the worst versions of themselves as their personal hatred of each other strengthens their distrust of the other side.

It’s a whole mess that results in things getting blown up, Andrew being killed, and Rook having a bit of a mental break-down.

He then gets downgraded to a side character, but his slow redemption arc happens in the background, mostly because he raises his amount of friends from one to a solid three, and finally has some positive older influences in his life. One of them is also a former War Hero turned disgrace so they have a lot to talk about.

@Rosie I know, if he's going to be such a mess who makes bad life choice after bad life choice he could at least not look so good doing it. Like yeah, I know you're supporting a corrupt government to get one over on you not-boyfriend, but you're so handsome I'm willing to mostly forgive you for it. I know Andrew like, straight up murdered a bunch of innocent people, but I swear the worst thing he ever did was scaring Rook perfect face :pp.

I think the contrast of how Rook and Darling deal with their scars though is super interesting. Darling works so hard to hid them, covering up what a mess she is (physically and mentally) with a very put together exterior while Rook actively put off getting medical treatment for his face because he wanted to force Andrew to look at them. He weaponized his injuries as a way to justify his harsh methods.

I'm just always here for aesthetic choices that inform characterisation.

@Kasper Scars? What scars? Darling is hiding nothing! She just is obsessive about being covered from the neck down because...decency! That's it.

>.>

<.<

I think one of my favorite things is the people she knows from Vigil encountering other Southerners and realizing that they're not all uptight and obsessive about not showing skin. It's not a cultural thing. Just a Darling thing.

But re: scars, it's also interesting because Darling tends to be neglectful in caring for hers as well, but rather than Rook using it to punish someone else, she's using it as a round about way to self harm. Rook and Darling are so similar in a lot of ways and I love it. He would even find her 'almost tolerable,' because she is actually capable of being quiet, unlike Jan, who Rook would put firmly into the category of 'utterly unbearable.' (He's just friendly! Rook why are you such a fun sponge??)

• 2 weeks later...

3 hours ago, Katherine said:

Both Rook and Huw are very pretty indeed. And of course, so is Darling. I'm not sure if any of them would be happy to hear it. 

Ehh, Darling would mostly be indifferent. She likes how she looks (when you can't see her scars) and that's mostly what matters to her. She'd probably mostly be relieved that someone commented on her appearance with something besides, "but why are you dressed like a MAN????" to which her answer is, "I'm not. I'm dressed like me."

3 hours ago, Katherine said:

And Kes is adorable. I haven't met her yet. 

She is my little potato and I love her. Absurdly powerful little potato. Her skirts hide a multitude of pockets, which she mostly keeps baked goods in. Though sometimes she hides a duck in there too. @Kasper knows her very well and can confirm that she is the best potato. 

So, my hair girl ended up being Alice:
image.png

Alice is a teen artist and volunteers at the Seattle Art Museum. She is self-reliant and secretive, though loyal in her friendships. She has a strong sense of justice, tends to be impulsive, and is emotionally intuitive. She is kind, tries to be responsible (though she feels like a screw-up for being disorganized and late) and is suppressing a lot of anger. She hates that she longs for affection and comfort and it sometimes clouds her judgment. She believes she is the only one who can get through to her bipolar father and that she needs to protect and defend her emotionally dependent mother. When she finds herself 150 years in the past, she believes she has been sent on a mission to save her family. But she also wants to stay there.

• 1 month later...

These are the Hawke twins, belonging to Rosie and I, Mara on the left and Pyrena on the right. They are both total disasters in incredibly different ways. Both are very powerful mages with a knack for causing just as many problems as they solve. We've posted their mood boards as well over in the scrapbook.

iROw4vM.jpg

Archived